Outline of General Incorporated Association:
The Japan-Multinational Trial Organization
The Japan-Multinational Trial Organization (JMTO)
October 16, 1999
Location of Operations Office
P-A Bldg. 3F, 2-14-10 Marunouchi, Naka-ku,
Nagoya, Aichi, Japan
The objectives of the Organization are:
1. To develop collaborative research, between Japan and other nations, for the diagnosis,
treatment and prevention of diseases.
2. Encourage cooperation among researchers from those countries, and thereby contribute
to the advancement of clinical science and the improvement of medical care in our country.
The Association conducts the following activities in order to achieve the objectives described in the previous article:
(1) Planning, design, and implementation of Japan-multinational clinical research
(2) Promotion of communication and research collaboration with researchers and research
organizations from Japan and other countries
(3) Consulting on research and development of drugs
(4) Clinical trials
(5) Collection, analysis, and provision of medical information
(6) Consulting on medical, nursing, and health care
(7) Design and support for medical research groups in hosting seminars
(8) Support for medical research groups in dealing with accounting procedures
(9) Editing and issuance of JMTO Newsletters and other publications
(10) Additional or related activities to those listed above
1st Chair Kiyoyuki Furuse, M. D. October 1999 to June 2001
2nd Chair Yoshiteru Terashima M. D. June 2001 to June 2003
3rd Chair Yoshiteru Terashima M. D. July 2003 to June 2004
4th Chair Hiromi Wada, M.D. June 2004 to present
This Organization is a nonprofit organization operated in compliance with the Articles of Association, and formed by members who support the Organization's objectives, including the nation's leading clinicians, researchers and biostatisticians. The Board of Directors is comprised of directors (with minimum number of three and a maximum number of thirty) who are selected from regular members according to General Meeting decisions, carrying out its operation based on the Organization's Articles of Association and the decisions of the Board.
Directors elect the Chair, Co-Chair, and executive directors from among their numbers, and the Chair represents the Organization and is responsible for its operation.
Auditors, at least one but no more than three auditors, are selected from regular members according to General Meeting decisions, and mainly oversee the Board of Directors in the performance of their duties and finances.
An individual having obtained recommendation from two regular members is admitted to membership in the Organization by the Board of Directors. A sponsor is admitted to membership when recommended by the Board of Directors.
List of executive
In terms of ethical, scientific and medical validity, the Committee reviews the implementation and continuation of the trials hosted by the Organization.
Committees on Research Promotion
The following committees are operated in accordance with the procedures established by the Organization. Each committee is run by members of the Committees on Research Promotion who are designated as persons in charge by the General Meeting or the Board of Directors.
(1) Protocol Committee−Reviewing/preparing and guiding the Protocol
(2) Monitoring Committee−Guiding the monitoring of clinical trials for assurance that the
rights and safety of trial subjects are protected and that the data is credible and accurate
(3) Independent Data Monitoring Committee−Independently reviewing and discussing the
efficacy, safety, pharmacokinetics, and serious and unknown adverse events of trials
(4) Publication Committee−Editing, approving, and reviewing the Organization's publications
(papers, summaries, journals, etc.)
(5) Public Relations Committee−Preparing newsletters, home page, etc., and having
responsibility for the Organization's public relations in general
(6) Pharmaceutical/Legal Affairs Committee−Considering the Pharmaceutical Affairs Act
involved in the conduct of trials and other legal issues as a whole, and trying to
address/solve them as necessary
(7) International Meeting Steering Committee −Evaluating the adequacy of the international
meetings/workshops hosted or co-hosted by JMTO, and designing/operating them
Advisory Committee on Research in Each Area
The objective is to address research topics in the area of each cancer type and promote the research of this Organization. It is run by committee members who are assigned by the Board of Directors.